- P.E.I minister to stand trial in Ontario on fraud and theft-related charges
- Travel agent, Leslie Glauser of T&T Travel, pleads guilty to one count of fraud $5,000
- Ex-husband forged documents to hide millions in B.C. divorce case
- Bluewater Power Warns Of Door-To-Door Scam in the Sarnia-Lambton area
- New bill bans scalper bots in Ontario, although the ticket industry warns that fans might be at a disadvantage
RCMP in Coquitlam, B.C. are warning people about a new pyramid scheme that may be targeting women.
“One of the ways this scheme is presented is that it’s not illegal and everything is above board, which of course is your first clue that something might be amiss,” said Corporal Michael McLaughlin.
He says a recruiter asks the victim for a $5,000 gift to join and the victim is then expected to recruit eight more people who bring $5,000, so everybody is supposed to make $40,000.
“This is an unusual scam in that it’s very much targeting women who would otherwise be law-abiding, who have jobs and have money,” added McLaughlin.
Read more at Global News