- Windsor police arrest one of two men from east-end robbery
- Federal inmate Boyd Richards wanted on Canada-wide warrant
- Licence revocation warranted after lawyer, John Abbott, mortgage fraud
- Local investors lose $3.7M, Waterloo man of CJC Investments charged
- Police search for Tinder fraudster targeting Montreal women
RCMP in Coquitlam, B.C. are warning people about a new pyramid scheme that may be targeting women.
“One of the ways this scheme is presented is that it’s not illegal and everything is above board, which of course is your first clue that something might be amiss,” said Corporal Michael McLaughlin.
He says a recruiter asks the victim for a $5,000 gift to join and the victim is then expected to recruit eight more people who bring $5,000, so everybody is supposed to make $40,000.
“This is an unusual scam in that it’s very much targeting women who would otherwise be law-abiding, who have jobs and have money,” added McLaughlin.
Read more at Global News