- Hamilton officer faces more charges in connection with 2012 investigation
- Winnipeg teens charged after man’s online date ends in car jacking
- Alberta Health Services warns of breast exam phone scam
- Peterborough woman facing charges after incident at grocery store
- Students warned about off-campus housing scams
An Edmonton woman says she was bilked out of $50,000 in cash and $30,000 in gold by an astrologer who told her she was under a black magic curse.
Legal assistant Manpreet Deol, 31, said the money represented her life savings. She had planned to use it to make a down payment on a home.
The Edmonton Police Service is investigating Deol’s claim that she was scammed.
Earlier this week, city police issued a warning about fraud artists posing as astrologists and psychic readers.
Police said in one recent case, an Edmontonian was convinced to pay $100,000 in cash and gold to have black magic removed from their life and to have access to more money.
Read more at CBC News