- Ret. Peel Regional Police officer charged with fraud
- Auto insurer's secret cameras in sting operation broke law, body shop claims
- Fraud charge for Calgary woman accused of faking cancer
- Investors warned about five Ontario firms in global investigation ‘Operation Cryptosweep'
- Parents, friends of international student defrauded out of over $200K in virtual kidnapping scam
An Edmonton woman says she was bilked out of $50,000 in cash and $30,000 in gold by an astrologer who told her she was under a black magic curse.
Legal assistant Manpreet Deol, 31, said the money represented her life savings. She had planned to use it to make a down payment on a home.
The Edmonton Police Service is investigating Deol’s claim that she was scammed.
Earlier this week, city police issued a warning about fraud artists posing as astrologists and psychic readers.
Police said in one recent case, an Edmontonian was convinced to pay $100,000 in cash and gold to have black magic removed from their life and to have access to more money.
Read more at CBC News