- Investigative journalist integral to Panama Papers Project, killed in bomb blast
- Waterloo financial advisor led lavish lifestyle, defrauded investors out of 10 million
- Ontario government suing company accused of misappropriating millions allocated towards First Nation community.
- Fraud Victim, Wen Li, Removed From Canada Although A Witness In The Alleged Panasian Global Inc. Fraud
- Orangeville residents fall victim to Canadian Revenue Agency scam.
Home Capital’s troubles started with “unlucky” brokers – or what Canadian banks and insurers call the mortgage merchants who get caught submitting fraudulent loans documents.
The holding company disclosed that 45 independent brokers submitted loan applications that misstated borrowers’ income and other details. A securities regulator accused Home Capital of misleading investors about the fraud, and that sparked a run on deposits at the lender.
Yet the brokers, whose names are now on databases maintained by lenders and mortgage insurers, can still win business since they have’t been prosecuted for fraud.
Read more at Financial Post