- Investigative journalist integral to Panama Papers Project, killed in bomb blast
- Waterloo financial advisor led lavish lifestyle, defrauded investors out of 10 million
- Ontario government suing company accused of misappropriating millions allocated towards First Nation community.
- Fraud Victim, Wen Li, Removed From Canada Although A Witness In The Alleged Panasian Global Inc. Fraud
- Orangeville residents fall victim to Canadian Revenue Agency scam.
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is suing Manulife Financial for alleged negligence in connection with a benefits fraud scheme that was discovered three years ago.
Since the fraud operation came to light, 170 TTC employees have been dismissed or have retired or resigned to avoid dismissal. Ten former employees are facing criminal charges for their connection to the alleged fraud.
In the statement of claim, filed in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the TTC alleged Manulife Financial did not have the necessary fraud management controls in place, nor were there systems in place to detect and analyze unusual trends or patterns that might indicate fraud. The claim goes further alleging Manulife breached its duties of care, which in turn contributed to the losses suffered by the TTC.
The TTC says it is seeking up to $5 million in reimbursement and damages.
The allegations in the statement of claim have not yet been proven in court.
Read more at National Post